Monday, May 9, 2016

Week 8 summary

Well, I've been officially doing this workout routine for two months now. I'd like to say it's helped me lose weight. It hasn't. HAHAHAHAHH!!! BUT, I can tell I'm getting physically stronger. So, I'm really happy about that.

And I'm happy I've made it through two weeks of running (3 days a week). This is a very joyous occasion for me.

So, let's get to the stats, they aren't great, but they are improving somewhat:

Wednesday - 1 mile - 16:11 - this is inaccurate because I was having watch issues, but I'm quite sure I was not faster than a 15-minute mile.

Thursday - weights - my usual 8-pound weights routine (I guess it's actually 16 pounds total? I am not sure how to measure that)

Friday - 1 mile - 15:03 - ooooh, so close to 14. So close, but no dice. My legs were tired and I had to really talk myself into getting out there. The payoff was the weather was amazing! A nice chill in the air.

Saturday - 1 mile - 15:07 - I ran two days in a row because I knew the next day we were going to the New Orleans Zoo. I didn't want to walk at the zoo all day on tired legs. Well, after that 1-mile run Saturday my legs were trashed. And then Sunday we spent about 4 hours at the zoo walking. So needless to say I wasn't surprised I was 3 seconds slower.

Overall I feel like I'm doing ok. I was supposed to start 2 miles - three times a week this week. I felt like I just wasn't ready. A huge part is my fear of getting injured again. I feel like compared to all these people I see on Instagram doing shitloads of cross training, maybe I'm not doing enough.

I'm going to attempt the Hansons Half-Marathon Method (maybe). And they say it's ok to do cross training, but the theory is if you want to get better at something specific, you need to focus on that. I want to be a better runner. Period. I'm not interested in getting toned up (although I want to lose weight), I don't necessarily want to look good in a bikini, I don't want to lift 200 pounds, I'm not trying to win some competition. I just want to be a better runner.

Hansons emphasizes over and over you can't cross train a day and have that as your substitute for a run. If you want to be a better runner, you have to put in the mileage. I agree with that because even though I'm running a very slow mile, I'm beat. But in a good way.

This week certainly had it's challenges. I talked about in the last post my daughter's friend's leukemia diagnosis. For a number of reasons that aren't worth getting into, this has brought back a lot of bad memories from my experience with cancer. I've explained to my daughter what is going on with her friend and what happened to me. I'm just praying and hoping that the treatments will help her BFF. She's a lovely and sweet girl and it's hard to see her beat down by this. Her mom - gah, I just can't imagine how she's holding up so well.

I had a fantastic Mother's Day and through all the challenges of being a mom, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. When I had my cancer, they told me to expect to NOT be able to get pregnant and here I am...the mom of a 6-year-old.

In the grand scheme of things, a pace goal, losing weight, or even doing well in a race is very small. My main goal is to be a good mom.

And because I have zero pics in this post, here is a picture of Krispy Kreme donuts we had on the way to the zoo yesterday. I'll be honest, I like Mary Lee donuts better. LOL!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment